Sociologist – Gender and Sexuality
The Department of Sociology and Anthropology at Northern Michigan University in Marquette, Michigan invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Sociology (tenure-track) faculty position specializing in gender and sexuality. We seek applications from passionate sociologists committed to teaching and scholarship, with active research interests that will involve undergraduate students and promote our department’s concentration in social justice. This is a full-time, campus-based position at the rank of Assistant Professor, with a 3-3 teaching load, beginning August 19, 2024. Salary and benefits are competitive.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The individual who is offered and accepts this position will teach three (3) courses each fall and spring semester and will have the option to teach additional courses during summer sessions. The successful candidate will be expected to teach introductory sociology, gender and sexuality, and additional upper-level sociology courses as needed. Efforts to enhance and build on the curriculum offered by the sociology program are encouraged. The individual who is offered and accepts this position will demonstrate scholarly accomplishments or strong potential for research and publication relevant to the position, including the ability to maintain an active scholarly research agenda. The successful candidate is expected to actively participate in service in support of the department, college, and university.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required (Minimum Qualifications):
- Expertise in gender and sexuality;
- Ph.D. in Sociology (ABD candidates will be considered if there is a reasonable expectation to have their degree in-hand by June 30, 2024);
- Ability to establish an active research agenda with students;
- Ability to teach introductory sociology, upper-level courses in gender and sexuality, and other upper-level sociology courses as needed;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and time management skills;
- Commitment to undergraduate education and demonstrated excellence in teaching;
- Ability to work well with an instructional team, including but limited to fellow instructors and assistants;
- Ability to develop and deliver curriculum
Additional Desirable Qualifications Include:
- Demonstrated teaching experience, particularly in areas related to gender/sexuality
- Emphasis on social justice and social inequality
- Commitment to the mission of a public comprehensive university
- Record of peer-reviewed publications appropriate to career stage
- Potential for collaborative research
- Record of successful grant writing
- Willingness and ability to work interdepartmentally
- Detailed cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Statement
- Research Statement
- Writing Sample
- Unofficial transcript
Additional documents and information may be requested.
To apply for this position please visit: https://workatnmu.nmu.edu/ Applications must be completed online to be considered.
October 18, 2023
December 1, 2023
Northern Michigan University, with approximately 7,000 students and 194 degree programs, is located along the shore of Lake Superior in the vibrant, historic city of Marquette, consistently named a top location in the nation to raise a family, vacation, and enjoy an excellent quality of life. See more at www.nmu.edu/marquette.
Northern Michigan University is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination in employment or the provisions of services. NMU provides, upon request, reasonable accommodation including auxiliary aids and services necessary to afford individuals with disabilities an equal opportunity to participate in all programs and activities. Persons having inquiries regarding discrimination/complaints may contact the Equal Opportunity Office at (906) 227-2420.