Become a Member of the Southern Sociological Society
The benefits of active membership in the Southern Sociological Society include:
- joining a vibrant academic community
- participating in the annual meeting
- a subscription to Social Currents
- engaging in the governance of the Society
- eligibility for SSS committee service, grants, and awards
- receiving announcements about research opportunities, job openings
- instant access to The Southern Sociologist, the Society’s quarterly newsletter
Membership in the Society runs from January 1 to December 31.
All annual conference participants must be current, dues-paying members of the Society.
To join, renew your dues, or check the status of your membership, log in to your SSS Member Portal.
- A membership for persons holding a graduate degree in sociology or a related field.
- Persons who have retired from regular employment, and have been regular members of the society for ten or more years. Please contact Executive Officer for first time approval. Emeriti members wishing to receive Social Currents must pay a $20 fee.
Dues and Fees Lifetime Membership
- Covers membership dues and registration fees for all future membership years and annual meetings. An SSS member with a Dues and Fees Lifetime Membership never has to remember to renew their annual membership dues or their annual meeting registration fees– period!
Dues-Only Lifetime Membership
- Covers membership dues for all future membership years. Members with this type are required to pay annual meeting registration fees.
Departments will be listed in the annual meeting program, will receive Social Currents for their front office, and all undergraduate students from that department who present at the conference will have their annual dues waived (undergraduate conference registration fees still required).